With the European elections around the corner, EYCA is launching a project to engage young and first-time voters to get out the youth vote. We are looking for a creative and dynamic Communications Officer to run the project-related and EYCA communication activities. As well as working closely with young activists across Europe, the Communications Officer will be responsible for showcasing youth engagement across Europe.
The European Youth Card Association (EYCA) is a non-governmental association that issues the European Youth Card to over 7 million young people in 35+ countries across Europe. In addition, EYCA routinely organise a variety of initiatives to drive forward its two main ambitions: protect youth mobility and enhance youth participation.
This project will see grassroots actions led by young change-makers in 17 different European countries related to the 2024 European elections. The primary objective is to highlight the importance of voting, with particular regard to young & first-time voters.
- Coordinating communications activities for a European campaign targeting young people;
- Working with a creative agency to develop branding and website content;
- Collecting and distributing photo and video content related to young people and European elections;
- Liaising with project volunteers and agents to ensure deliverables are met;
- Staying up-to-date with European elections topics;
- Offering communications support to young people and partners, in particular during the elections period;
- Working with the project manager to achieve campaign objectives;
- Working with the EYCA colleagues on communications activities related to wider EYCA actions.
What you need
- Relevant experience in a similar position and on a similar project (2-5 years). Relevant volunteering experience will be positively considered;
- Previous experience in communication-based campaigns, with a preference for European-related topics and multi-stakeholder campaigns;
- Previous experience working under the pressure of electoral campaigns and/or engaging with political figures is considered an asset;
- Relevant experience in working with (re)branding creation process, creative agency, influencers marketing and strategic use of social media tools;
- Relevant education and training in the field.
Skills and competencies
- Ability to communicate information to young people in a creative and engaging way and grow online presence;
- Strong understanding of EU affairs and EU institutional process with a focus on the European Parliament;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Other languages are an advantage;
- Strong coordination, networking, and team-building skills appropriate for a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment, experience in working with young volunteers is a plus;
- Comfortable using youth-focused social media platforms such as Instagram and TikTok as well as other platforms;
- Strong interest in youth civic engagement and public participation;
- Good knowledge of MS Office, collaborative work software, and newsletter tools;
- Experience working with membership-based organisations is desirable;
- Open to learning about databases, mobile applications, and content management systems as used in European Youth Card operations.
What we offer
- 16-months fixed term contract under Belgian law, with the possibility of extension;
- 3.000 EUR gross monthly remuneration, in addition to other benefits;
- 20 days of paid annual leave;
- The position is based in our Brussels office;
- The position requires some travel and flexible working hours during high-demand periods;
- Desired start date: March 2023
How to apply
- Motivation letter (maximum length 1 page);
- CV (maximum length 2 pages);
- Examples of any relevant materials that prove your communications experience (e.g. content-creation, website, promotional materials, social media management or any additional writing samples or creative work);
- The contact details of at least two references.
Please mention ‘Communications Officer _ your last name’ in the subject line.
Interviews are expected to take place in early February 2023, with a written assignment to be completed thereafter. The candidate would ideally start in March 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Non-discrimination and equal opportunities.
The principles of non-discrimination and equal treatment are amongst our core values at EYCA. As a pan-European organisation, EYCA works for and represents all citizens in greater Europe. We, therefore, recognise the importance of attracting, developing and retaining a body of staff which reflects the diversity of European societies today. We are convinced that diversity is a strength in the workplace and that harnessing this diversity will create a productive environment in which everyone feels valued, where their talents are fully utilised, and where organisational goals are met.
We therefore welcome applications from all suitably-qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic or social origin, colour, religion, belief, or sexual orientation.
All applicants whether EU or non-EU citizens, are considered equally. Please, note that all candidates need to have the right to work in Belgium before applying.
Any relevant volunteering experience will be positively considered.